An accidental recipe! I was attempting to make two salads… a brown lentil and lime salad and a potato salad…but I put the cooked lentils into the wrong bowl of base ingredients so I had to make a few changes and omissions and it turned out great!
This was a post-run salad so I made sure there was some decent protein for muscle repair (lentils), carbohydrate for energy replacement (spuds) and greenery and veg for a boost of antioxidants. On top of this it needed to be satisfying and filling to keep me going the rest of the day.
As well as being a decent lunch time salad this served well as a side salad for a spanish omelette in the evening, so as the carbohydrate portion of your balanced plate. It would go well with any grilled or fried fish, especially oily omega 3 containing fish like salmon, trout and mackerel or with grilled chicken.
400g new potatoes, cut in half
100g brown or green lentils
1 red onion, finely diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
1/2 yellow, orange or red pepper
100g pickled onions, chopped (you could use spring onions instead if you prefer)
50g pickled mini/cocktail gherkins, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 small red chilli, finely diced
1 handful chopped fresh mint
1 handful chopped fresh parsley
1 handful chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Juice of one lime
Fresh ground black pepper
* bring 2 pans of water to the boil. In one place the lentils and onions and in the other place the new potatoes. Boil for 20 to 30 mins. The lentils and the potatoes should still have a bit of bite to them so don’t overcook these or you’ll have a squidgy salad!
* drain and allow these to cool.
* in a seperate bowl mix all other ingredients…just chuck em in! This is a really simple recipe despite all the ingredients!
* once cooled add the lentils, onions and potatoes to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
* serve cold with a side salad.
Per portion (serves 4 as lunch)