1 x small-medium sized butternut squash, peeled and de-seeded, chopped into 2cm cubes (800g)
1 x red pepper, de-seeded and diced (100g)
2 x red onions, peeled and diced (190g)
2 x cloves garlic, finely chopped (7g)
½ – 1 x red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (4g)
1 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped (8g)
250g sweetcorn, frozen or canned
1 litre vegetable stock (1 x 10g cube)
1.5 tbsp. vegetable/olive oil (15g)
300ml semi-skimmed milk
20g dessicated coconut
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a deep baking tray. Add the cubes of butternut squash, sprinkle with a little salt and roast for 25-35 minutes, until soft and slightly browned.
- Scatter the sweetcorn on an ungreased flat baking tray and toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside for later.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli and ginger and fry for approximately 30 seconds, just to infuse the oil with some flavour.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper and fry for 5 minutes or until softened and browned slightly.
- Add the roasted butternut squash to the vegetables with the stock. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, toast the coconut for 2-3 minutes without adding any oil, stirring constantly to prevent it from burning. When browned lightly remove from the heat and put coconut into a bowl. Set aside for later.
- Add the milk to the saucepan of soup and then use a blender (I use a Billy-whizz hand-blender) to blend the soup until creamy.
- Stir the cinnamon and nutmeg into the soup. Stir in the toasted sweetcorn and coconut.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken it up.
Energy 1000 kcal (4187 kJ)
Total sugars 70g
Per Serving (Serves 4)
Energy 250kcal (1047 kJ)
Total sugars 17.5g
1 x tbsp. of reduced fat crème fraiche = 70kcal/ 293 kJ
1 x tbsp. of low fat natural yogurt = 25 kcal / 105 kJ
A crusty roll = 130 kcal / 545 kJ
½ x naan bread (80g), toasted = 225 kcal / 942 kJ
A poppy/sesame seed bagel, toasted – 275kcal / 1151 kJ
I had a proper good jig about to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (first album) and The Go Team – Thunder Lightning Strike
A hilarious alternative might be this….